It's hard get both: standard by consensus and to base standards on good design
practices.

I think the point of the discussion is: what model (or way of modeling) is good
and why?

On one hand we have the HL7 way of modeling things, that do not follows the
best known practices but is accepted by many parties. (HL7 models are tight
coupled with XML Schemas, for exmple, the "choice" construcor in the diagrams
is a bad way of modeling things that can be modeled better with subclassing in
UML, as every developer that works with HL7 v3 knows, this adds complexity to
the development).

In the other hand we have some models that follow the best design practices,
but are acepted by a group of "friends".

The strong point in one is the weak point in the other. So, in reality, we have
to live with a god and with many atheists, and believe in both.

--
Kind regards,
A/C Pablo Pazos Guti?rrez