From: openehr-technical-bounces at openehr.org
[mailto:openehr-technical-boun...@openehr.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Beale
Sent: 09 February 2011 17:30
To: openehr-technical at openehr.org
Subject: Re: Representing binary values with DV_BOOLEAN

On 09/02/2011 15:05, pablo pazos wrote:
I agree with you Thomas but there's always some implicit semantics, I mean:
when there is no data, it is taken as false, but what happen if the person who
do the questionnaire do not try to make this question false? May be he/her
didn't want to answer, and this false could have value/semantics in clinical or
legal fields.

Hi Pablo,

my point is that in some cases, researchers construct questionnaires for
healthcare use that will have some purely boolean answers, and they simply
won't use responses containing missing answers, i.e. they will only use clean
data. A question like 'have you ever had children' for example in such a
questionnaire can be modelled as Boolean if the researcher wants simply to
divide the population into two - women who gave birth, and women who never did.
Any response like 'don't know' would be discarded in such a study. I am not
saying that this is good study design, or anything else (it isn't my area), but
we can't prevent medical researchers from creating questionnaires with purely
boolean answers, if that is what their statistical computing model requires.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take
any action in reliance on its contents:

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff
in England and Scotland
NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information
with NHSmail and GSi recipients
NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be
accessed anywhere
For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit
www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail