Interesting discussion.

The big problem with DV_BOOLEAN is that it subverts the standard
'clinical statement model' used in current health informatics.

e.g The patient has diabetes (DV_CODED_TEXT) ) vs. Does the patient
have diabetes ? Y/N (DV_BOOLEAN).

This of course complicates looking for patient with diabetes, sine we
now have to run 2 different searches and the boolean variation may not
be able to take advantage of the inferencing in the terminology i.e
sub-types of diabetes.

The other problem is when desiging archetypes, what may seem like a
simple boolean, turns out to be a lot more complex when other clinical
groups are involved.

To take Derek's consent example. On the face of it, Consent Y/N seems
like a boolean but if you look at Snomed, there are at least 30 terms
below Consent status e.g. self consent, verbal consent for
examination. I found similar issues when modelling other clinical
findings

Blood in the urine Y/N in some data capture vs. Ordinal scales +,++
etc etc in others.

This starts to become very important when interoperating with other
clinical groups.

Null values are useful but often match poorly to the clinical terms
for a particular use case.

Negated questions are a further problem - what does Diabetes (no) mean
- are we asserting that the patient does not have diabetes or is the
negation just a way of ensuring that the question has actually been
asked. We do not normally capture negations in 'clinical statement'
stylwdata capture.

So !!!

Clinical questions are always going to be with us, and are certainly
easier to use when generating GUI but they have major issues with
interoperability and extensibility. My own ompinion is that we need to
look at some sort of clinical variation on DV_BOOLEAN, as Koray
suggested that allows the various True, False and null states to be
mapped/bound to term based equivalents, as Koray has already
suggested.

e.g.

Diabetes Y => Snomed Diabetes term
Diabetes N => Exclusion of Diabetes (or perhaps just boolean N).

This would have the advantage of allowing alignment with clinical
statements but make it easier for GUI designers to understand how to
represent the questionairre.

I very rarely now use DV_BOOLEAN when modelling but agree that using
DV_TEXT/CODE_TEXT is a pain to map to a checkbox/radiobutton GUI.

Ian

Dr Ian McNicoll
office +44 (0)1536 414994
fax +44 (0)1536 516317
mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
skype ianmcnicoll
ian.mcnicoll at oceaninformatics.com

Clinical analyst,?Ocean Informatics, UK
openEHR Clinical Knowledge Editor www.openehr.org/knowledge
Honorary Senior Research Associate, CHIME, UCL
BCS Primary Health Care ?www.phcsg.org