Alan,

Thanks for clarifying. I thought in your earlier post you had ruled out XML.
I was curious what the alternative would be. JSON, as you suggest, would be
better.

Since writing my post I realized I had not given you credit for one
innovation I had not seen before, namely, placing "structure classes"
directly into the DB. That would allow you to keep your JSON content
instances relatively small and hence searchable with formal queries, at
least to some extent.  I could be mistaken, but I think an alternative
approach I had heard about on this forum would be to create basically just
one blob or just one XML document to contain an entire medical record for a
patient, a record that would be extended with each encounter, with the prior
instance of the record deleted or at least never referenced again. Again, I
will probably be corrected here. Your approach sounds better.

Randy