It may also help to understand ADL as an 'abstract syntax' in the same
way that OWL-abstract is. There is an XML form of OWL (RDF), and the
same goes for ADL - we don't have a proper name for it, but it is
essentially an XML serialisation of the Archetype Object Model (AOM).
Abstract syntaxes are created by designers because they express some
kind of formal statements comprehensible to  a human being, and can also
be made computable by writing a parser for them. All higher level
programming languages (i.e. anything except assembler or machine
language) are abstract syntaxes.

Section 2 of
http://www.openehr.org/svn/specification/TRUNK/publishing/architecture/am/aom1.5.pdf

(the current AOM 1.5 draft) will probably help you understand a bit more.

- thomas