From: openehr-technical-boun...@openehr.org
[mailto:openehr-technical-bounces at openehr.org] On Behalf Of pablo pazos
Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 4:14 AM
To: openehr technical
Subject: RE: Python / Django experience??

Hi Erik and all,

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 18:19, pablo pazos <pazospablo at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know if this is crazy talk or if it's seems reasonable to you.
Please let me know :D

> Not crazy, but maybe overly complicated.

Maybe I don't present the idea in the best way, but in the end is just some
services to advertise/discover artifact repositories/servers, services to do
distributed queries, and services for notifications (subscribe/notify). Some
of this ideas are in use out there for zillions since Internet born and
evoluted.

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to use a layered approach?
> 1. An existing distributed version control system (DVCS) like GIT (and
> an agreed directory structure and naming conventions within it) for
> storing versioning and distributing archetype source files etc.

About using some version control system (VCS), I don't think this is a good
solution because the semantics of "archetype version" are not the same
semantics as in "plain text versioning" (here changing one character will
create a new version of the artifact). With VCS you can handle
local/internal evolution of an archetype in development, but for a
global/public archetype versioning system, IMO this is not the right tool to
handle archetype versions (and other artifact versions).

I think we need to define the versioning system/semantics/context of an
artifact, and then implement this spec on design tools or in each artifact
repository. If I'm not mistaken, a discusion about this topic took place a
while ago and I don't know if there was consensus on the proposals.

Kind regards,

Pablo.