On 25/01/2012 22:45, David Moner wrote:

> 2012/1/25 Thomas Beale <thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com
> <mailto:thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com>>
>
>     Maybe another way of understanding this flag is as 'this node can
>     be skipped without loss of meaning'. I would be very interested to
>     know if we should make AQL queries sensitive to this flag. Has
>     anyone thought about that?
>

> In this sense I can see the reason for this attribute, since it can be
> understood as part of the documentation of the clinical model. But
> definitely it is not clearly described at the specs since there it
> seems to be linked to the presentation template only.
>
> I fact, there is a similar attribute in EN13606 ITEM class, but used
> in an opposite sense. The attribute is "emphasis" and it is described
> as "A way of denoting that the composer wished to mark this ITEM as
> being of particular note (an unusual measurement value, an unexpected
> outcome, anything that might be considered necessary to highlight to a
> future reader)."

I remember many arguments about that one in CEN meetings. It was
intended originally to be used on text items.

> I have never thought about this. I don't know if this kind of
> annotations ("this item is important or clinically relevant or not")
> better fits as part of the RM or part of the AOM. In other words, if
> this marker is related to a specific data instance or to a data item
> definition in an archetype.

well I am always suspicious of subjective markers like 'important' and
so on. At least 'pass-through' is a mechanistic kind of concept. I agree
that it has not been analysed properly though, and I think that can only
be done in the clinical realm. At the moment, I think we need to support
it because it is already in use in the .oet templates. The question is
whether it turns out to have some proper semantic basis or is indeed
'just presentation'. We should ask why it is there at all: the reason is
that it deals with information nodes that are not needed cognitively
(i.e. for human understanding) but are an unavoidable artefact of
information trees - but only sometimes... as far as I know there is no
reliable algorithm for removing these nodes from presentation.