Shinji-san,

thanks for the feedback.

On 25/04/2013 15:39, Shinji KOBAYASHI wrote:
> Hi Thomas Beale,
>
> My comments:
> 1) Page 33, A2
>   JSON is no Java Simple Object Notation. JavaScript Object
> Notation(http://www.json.org/)

oops, getting old, memory going

> 2) How to encode binary data?
>   In order to serialise binary data as text format, it need to encoding
> system, such as Base64. What encoding system will you adopt to ODIN?

I wonder why not Base 128, since ODIN already assumed UTF-8 strings. The
real question is: how to detect that we have some binary data?

ODIN works on the idea that every leaf type is inferrable syntactically.
In theory we could just do

     my_binary_data = <fsfbsb952hr32uewwbrfwev>

where some characters will be from the non-printing characters in the
0-127 range. That wouldn't be a problem, but it could be a problem to
distinguish from Integers, since some binary encoded data might come out
to be

     my_binary_data = <952>

So I think some other marker is needed in ODIN. Maybe something simple like

     my_binary_data = <#952#>

> 3) FYI: This presentation slides show the comparison of seven
> serialisation techniques.
> XML, JSON, Java binary serialize, Protocol Buffers, Apache Avro,
> Protostuff, and Rugson.

I guess you meant to include a link? I found this
<http://www.rugson.org/techs/comparison/> at Rugson.org..

> I think one of the best feature of ODIN to compare these serialisation
> techniques is that has strict type system, object oriented.

I have to admit, I don't know how any data format without dynamic type
markers can be used with real data...