Op 29-1-2013 21:48, Thomas Beale schreef:
> I would be interested in Pablo & Bert's ideas...
For my idea it serves to help identify the machine were the committer
committed the dataset. It is hard to identify a machine absolutely, but
combined with other facts, it can be a helpful hint.
In a Microsoft environment it is possible to identify a machine, but
only if the kernel communicates with the Microsoft-server-services. Some
UNIX/Linux configurations offer similar identification-services.
It is not a service, the kernel processes this without interaction to
the user.

Querying these data only happens in case of a inspection/inquiry.
Querying should be implemented as a service.

I have implemented the audit-details-storage. The kernel retrieves the
information, and as kernel maintainer, I have a simple dataset structure
to store it in. I leave the discussion what it should be to others.
It is stored in a separate database-pointer, but I haven't yet
implemented the query-service for this. It is on the TO-DO list.
---
Thinking about this, I was in discussion with a American physician, a
few weeks ago, and I explained to them the audit-details, and the
versioning of datasets.
She was shocked, became a bit angry, she could not understand why a
physician should invest for system-functionality which could serve to
get them sued in case of malfunctioning.
My argument that it could save them, it could also be used to proof that
a complainer is wrong, did not make any difference.

It was not only that she had a strong opinion, she became emotional. I
hadn't expected that, because in the Netherlands every physician thinks
that is completely normal to store audit-information.

Maybe a good thing to remember when doing business with Americans :-)

Bert