> Also, the date of the post you reference is from ~ 2003

The Rest protocol is very old, maybe 15 years, and hasn't changed much, so
are some recommandations. I don't know from which date the recommandation
is to use HTTP- status for application error handling. I don't think that
should be an argument.

And I am not writing client software, so I do not have to follow Api's from
others. I am offering API's. I think a client is best served with an own
defined error-handling instead of using the error-handling of another layer
which is designed for other reasons. This argument was also in that
document.

I was just not sure if my choice was a good one, that was, for me, the
reason for the discussion.
But also on private level I got recommandations to follow my own idea, and
I also found some supporting links.

An application can have own error-handling needs. There was an example in
that document. Similar examples I have too, where the mapping to the HTTP
number schema feels unnatural, or by far too rudimentory. Being
contra-intuitive in application API's is something to avoid, in my opinion.

For example, saying that a resource is not available is a poor API's
choice. Applications can be in need for a much more complex schema of
errors, and it is good if an hierarchical system is possible.

Why is a requested resource not available? Is it locked by the database?
Has it ever been available, is it tomorrow available, has it brought to an
archive system which needs an other Url or method, has the call been routed
to another service or server, and is there something the matter? Just
examples.

I was looking at the PayPal API about authentication, they had defined over
hundred things that can go wrong in an authentication-process. This needs a
fine grained and extensible error-handling.

Another reason is that, for example, the 404 will also be thrown for
HTTP-technical reasons, inside Restlet, it is used for other reasons. It
is confusing for a client with a 404 for application-reasons which need a
entirely other action to be resolved. This was, I thought, also an argument
from the link I posted.

Anyway, I made my choice, and with support from some important people in my
activity-context, so I follow that way.

But thanks again for your arguments, they gave me something to think about.

Bert.

Op zondag 18 januari 2015 heeft pablo pazos <pazospablo at hotmail.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','pazospablo at hotmail.com');>> het volgende
geschreven:

--

*This e-mail message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s). Please
inform us immediately if you are not the addressee.*