Dear friends,

I do not think a semantic discussion on the origin and meanings of the word proprietary is helpful. To me, also an advocate of formal standards in CEN and ISO, it is clear that we should regard openEHR artefacts as non-proprietary in line with other communitites in the world of open standards and open source sharing. I am amazed that some people have questioned this. The main reasons are two-fold: a) The specs are openly available free of charge to read and to use and b) The organisation that develops and maintains them (The OpenEHR foundation) is open for anybody with a very low modest membership fee and in addition we have always taken onboard sound technical change requests even from people that are not voting members.

However, the formal standards bodies with its often special status in national legislation (and in international agrrements like the European Union and World Trade Agreement have an advantage in some respects to informal bodies like openEHR. Firstly, ISO is important as a federation of national standards bodies, legislation e.g. on public procurement usually refer primarily to formal national standards, that in many cases are just endorsements of ISO standards. I believe that many people in the information systems world are underestimating the status and value of ISO (and IEC) standards because there are so many examples of new informal consortias or open organisations that are formed that play important roles. However, for products like EHR systems that are becoming more and more regulated by medical device legislation in the world and where interoperability becomes a very important characteristic, I think a status as a formal ISO stadnard would be beneficial for openEHR at some point. Having said this I am by no means suggesting to close openEHR as an organisation for development and sharing of artefacts but I think we should carefully consider to submit some of the specifications for endoresements as ISO standards in much the same way as DICOM or HL7 or IEEE have done. The IPR issues are complicated but does not have to mean that there is not an ownership that remains by the openEHR foundation. However, I think it would benefit the strength of our case if a certain version of the AOM is available as a national/ISO standard with an independent life of the rather small organisation with the obscure link to UCL.

Irrespective of this, I argued a year ago for the foundation to take steps towards becoming a true international non profit foundation breaking its ties witht the UCL as a founder. It is an anomaly in today's world.

Kind regards

Gunnar