Hi Heather et al,

Whilst I have followed this thread and agree with many of the observations and
conclusions reached so far,  I would like to make the following observations,
which are restricted to the aspect of the “non-UCUM" unit described in
Heather’s original posting. They have more serious and broader implications
than this one iconic Blood Pressure Archetype.

Notes on UCUM

According to the UCUM specification at http://unitsofmeasure.org :-

"The Unified Code for Units of Measure provides a single coding system for
units that is complete, free of all ambiguities, and that assigns to each
defined unit a concise semantics. In communication it is not only important
that all communicating parties have the same repertoir of symbols, but also
that all attach the same meaning to the symbols they exchange. The common
meaning must be computationally verifiable. The Unified Code for Units of
Measure assumes a semantics for units based on dimensional analysis.”

* UCUM introduces ambiguity, despite the above claim.
* UCUM is complex and comprehensive. It brings together units from various
other standards into a single framework. It is designed to support
computability and communications interoperability, and hence adopts a highest
common denominator 7-bit represention of unit codes as normative for sharing.
* UCUM does not provide a single code for each unit - it provides 2 normative
codes, as well as a non-normative display/print rendition and an ad-hoc name.
For each unit, UCUM defines a case-sensitive version, a case-insensitive
version, and a version intended for display or printing.
* Some units have no display/print variant defined.
* UCUM defines every unit in terms of 7 metric base units and does so in a
coherent and consistent fashion. This can support conforming systems to perform
conversions from one unit to another.
* UCUM does not supply normative names of units.
* Some similar units have quite dissimilar UCUM variants. e.g.

°C      Cel  for temperature  print and case-sensitive variants respectively.

°F      [degF]  for temperature  print and case-sensitive variants respectively.

°       deg for plane angle print and case-sensitive variants respectively.

* Some of UCUM’s names have been US-ised. E.g. litre has been changed to liter,
metre to meter, deca to deka.
* UCUM’s names don’t  follow the 7-bit rule. Some names like Ampère and
Ångström use 8-bit character representation.
* UCUM uses [qualifier]s to indicate where a base unit is changed, e.g. mm is a
unit for length property whereas mm[Hg] is a unit for pressure property. The []
syntax is unnecessary and complicates implementations.
* UCUM provides no simple guide for use, particularly regarding normative
components such as c/s, c/i and print.
* UCUM inconsistently defines print representations of some units as normative
and others as non-normative depending on the table.
* UCUM’s print codes are often 8-bit. UCUM is premised on providing support for
the highest common denominator across information systems, by constraining its
normative unit strings to 7-bit values. However, unit print and unit name  will
not work in 7-bit environments.
* UCUM releases are clearly supported and versioned, although differences
between versions are hard to determine.
* The contents of all UCUM specification tables are published as a single XML
file for download.
* Implementers of UCUM must choose between case insensitive and case-sensitive
versions. The two cannot co-exist in the same channel of communication without
special additional processing.
* Even using UCUM, some units are difficult to represent and agree upon e.g.
the unit for measuring estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate, quite common in
healthcare - see http://unitsofmeasure.org/trac/ticket/98
* Further useful information:
http://motorcycleguy.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/iso-to-ucum-mapping-table.html

Notes on openEHR’s implementation of UCUM within the AOM.

* openEHR is a standard primarily for building software components for
electronic health records. openEHR Archetypes are being created and adopted by
national bodies in many countries as canonical models for supporting
interoperability of data shared between systems. Whilst these two goals are not
mutually exclusive, they do present challenges and compromises for openEHR. EHR
systems do need to care about supporting the entering and representation of
data to users.
* openEHR’s implementation of units is a compromise between these to goals that
imposes minimal implementation overhead.
* openEHR is designed to work in an 8-bit unicode/UTF-8 world. All
openEHR-based applications are likely to support unicode characters and clearly
‘°’ would be part of that world. There are interesting examples such as the
Observation Archetype "Fundoscopic examination of eyes” that constrains Field
Angle values to “30º", “45º", etc.. as Coded Text.
* The openEHR DataTypes specification defines properties, including units for
DV_QUANTITY types. The specification is a little vague on adherance to UCUM for
units, stating that unit strings are to be expressed in UCUM unit syntax. This
allows for support of units beyond those defined in UCUM.
* The current openEHR BNF for parsing units appears to have some errors if it
were to be considered UCUM-conforming - e.g. presence of ‘μ’ symbol; absence of
‘[‘ and ‘]’ symbols.
* openEHR is unclear on which variant(s) of UCUM ( case-sensitive,
case-insensitive, print ) should be supported or mandated.
The current openEHR BNF for parsing units cannot support 8-bit UCUM units such
as ‘°’ i.e. degree symbol in values conforming to type DV_QUANTITY.

Tooling implementations for openEHR units

( I have only looked briefly at these )
* ADL Workbench - appears to have support for UCUM beyond the openEHR spec. -
e.g. all 7 electronically published fields can be stored within the Workbench.
Units appear to be fully parsed against the UCUM spec.
* Ocean Archetype Editor - constrains creation of archetyped units to the set
defined in a units and properties XML file distributed with the AE. This set
does not match the UCUM units. Current implementation allows only  ‘°’ for
degree symbol. Recent versions support UCUM ‘overrides’ for each unit. Where
UCUM values have been explictly entered, they have been entered inconsistently
- some are case-sensitive, some are case-insensitive. Processing of UCUM
overides does not appear to have been implemented yet. See
http://lists.openehr.org/pipermail/openehr-clinical_lists.openehr.org/2014-February/003102.html
 .
* Clinical Knowledge Manager - Many archetypes on the international CKM use
non-valid UCUM units. I have not examined archetype processing, but assume from
the archetypes in the international repository that existing archetypes are not
validated against UCUM. Even basic archetypes like Body Temperature define
units which are not UCUM-conformant. I consider this to be a more serious issue
than the tilt angle of a person whose blood pressure is being recorded.

Implications for Archetypes, Archetype repositories and Archetype Governance

* The CKM Body Temperature archetype constrains values of quantities to have
units of “°C” or “°F”. Most archetype tools I suspect, display the value of the
units from the ADL verbatim. WYSISYG. This works well in the user interface
world. “°C” and“°F” are both valid UCUM print rendition of units (they just
happen to be invalid for sharing). Most EHR applications probably behave
similarly - units would be displayed directly as stored in data sources.
* Given openEHR proclaims to support UCUM as the standard for units in
DV_QUANTITY, it would seem sensible to constrain to UCUM values in ADL. Most
tools don’t do this currently. Most archetypes have invalid values for UCUM.
Most tools don’t support both display/print as well as case-sensitive normative
UCUM values.
* Some unit issues, such as the Blood Pressure tilt angle could be “fixed”
simply by adding the normative UCUM unit and flagging the deprecated unit as
such. However, tools would need to be updated to allow these new, “fixed” units
to be entered where they previously could not. Only some of the existing
openEHR units could be “fixed” this way.
* I think units are somewhat akin to terminology systems like SNOMED. There are
significant implementation complexities.  The main value in standardising units
is to ensure safety and quality of data from disparate sources. The main
additional value in adopting UCUM more fully is to support unit conversion.
* Ideally, in order just to support UCUM well, openEHR implementations should
support the case-sensitive UCUM value, the print value and the unit
definitions, all supplied by UCUM via the published XML file. This does not
mean that the DV_QUANTITY type needs to change, but it would mean updating
existing archetypes to replace the current archetype units with the correct
UCUM case-sensitive one. Let’s call this the UCUM code. openEHR archetype
editors would then map these UCUM codes to unit displaynames ( i.e. the UCUM
print value ).  openEHR applications would also ideally map the UCUM code to
unit displaynames. i.e. Applications and archetypes use UCUM codes internally,
but those codes aren’t displayed to humans.
* If there are grounds for changing the Blood Pressure Archetype to “fix” the
Tile Angle, then those same grounds dictate that many more Archetypes be
changed.  This should be undertaken as a major versioning exercise, probably
with 6 months warning and with as many ducks lined up before the new archetypes
are published. Many deployments will need to change. Testing of those
deployments will need to be undertaken. Consideration will need to be given to
how to support existing data in live applications.
* There will always be tension between national and international archetype
repositories trying to produce models for an ideal world, rather than for
implementations that have to operate in the real world. My observations of how
the openEHR world is evolving is that these archetype repositories do
generally, and should try to set a gold standard. They should push
implementations  rather than retard them. That model, in turn, puts a pressure
on the repositories to be of high quality, comprehensive, current. That, in
turn implies publishing new versions. Implementations don’t have to adopt the
new versions. But the new versions need to offer real benefits. The trouble
with “fixing” the units of all currently published archetypes is that adopting
them in order to really make use of the normative UCUM units would mean pain
for implementers. But for what gain?

Notes on current practice regarding unit usage in  HL7 laboratory messages

I include the following, simply because it tries to illustrate how units are
currently handled in many typical data sharing environments.
* Legacy, non-openEHR systems using 7-bit databases might use predefined table
of units something like UCUM - more likely they would specify their own unit
system - perhaps “deg” for values for "°C” in a system in a metric country or
“deg” for values in “°F” in a system in the US. In many systems the units are
often implicit and not stored with each value.
* In Australia, diagnostic testing laboratories almost all send test result
reports in HL7 v2 messages. Many of these use atomic fields for each
observation. HL7 v2 uses an explicit field for transmitting a unit description.
The Australian Standards specify ISO+ values to be used to name these units in
messages. In practice, messages comply to various levels with these ISO
standards. I think the use of these codes is similar in the US, New Zealand and
a number of other countries, although I am less familiar with these.
* Depending on the quantity being sent in a report, the ability to
computationally deal with the unit is fraught with implementation issues. Some
parameters such as temperatures or weights that have been modelled as such in
archetypes can be validated. In many cases there is simply too much
variability, either in the units that are allowable for a particular field, or
for the variability in quality of the actual units sent.
* Both of the above  shortcomings lead to implementers wanting archetypes with
little or no unit constraint on many fields. More often than not this is a
result of lack of compliance infrastructure.
* In the real world of extensive data  sharing, highest common denominator ( or
often lowest common denominator ) trumps standards and quality, and even safety.

regards,
eric

Eric Browne
eric.bro...@montagesystems.com.au