Hi Pablo,
Some comments below.

Heath

From: openEHR-technical [mailto:openehr-technical-boun...@lists.openehr.org] On
Behalf Of pablo pazos
Sent: Tuesday, 12 July 2016 12:29 PM
To: openeh technical <openehr-technical@lists.openehr.org>; openehr clinical
<openehr-clini...@lists.openehr.org>; s...@lists.openehr.org
Subject: ISM: initial states for instructions / when do we need actions?

Hi all,

This message is related to my previous message "ACTIVITY.description vs
ACTION.description archetypes‏" (didn't got any answers :( but this is focused
on when we need actions to change a instruction state, and what's the initial
state.

Considering the specs:
http://www.openehr.org/releases/RM/latest/docs/ehr/ehr.html#_the_standard_instruction_state_machine_ism

I think when an instruction is firstly recorded, it should have a state. But
I'm not 100% if that state should be INITIAL, or can also be PLANNED, SCHEDULED
or ACTIVE, since at least for SCHEDULED and ACTIVE I think we need an ACTION to
be recorded to trigger the transition, but it is not clear that we need that to
trigger the transition "initiate (INITIAL -> PLANNED)".

[HKF: ] I personally consider the Initial state as your standard state diagram
starting point rather than a usable state. The AE has allowed the initial state
to be used, which I think is incorrect and we translate this to a subsequent
state for real use.

1- Is INITIAL the state associated with an instruction when no action is
recorded?

[HKF: ] This is how I consider this. In fact I usually explain to my developers
that an instruction is not initiated unless there is an action to start the
instructions workflow. Without an action, it is just a definition of an
instruction that is waiting to have its workflow started.

2- If what it's recorded is a medication prescription, I guess the initial
state should be PLANNED, do we need to record an action alongside with the
instruction to make the "initiate (INITIAL -> PLANNED)" transition? OR, we can
just set the initial state to PLANNED, even though no actions are recorded for
the instruction/activity?

[HKF: ] As indicated, I would have an ACTION with a PLANNED state to make this
clear. You may choose to go straight to Active.

3- On the case of recording a treatment that should be scheduled, do we also
need an action to trigger the "schedule (INITIAL -> SCHEDULED)" transition? (I
guess yes if the instruction is created at one time, and the schedule comes
later).

[HKF: ] As above.

3.1- If yes, what happens on the case the instruction includes scheduling?
Should we include an action to trigger the transition or can we set the state
to SCHEDULED directly?

[HKF: ] Sorry, I don’t understand this one.

At least for me this is not 100% on the specs. If this happens to others, we
might need to improve the specs and add more examples to make this topic clear
for newcomers.

Thanks!

--
Kind regards,