Hi Thomas,

I agree that we should go ahead with this ASAP. However it might be worth a
slight pause to think about the wider problem in handling 'clinical nulls'.

To summarise, 'null flavours' have limited value in a great deal of
clinical models because the standard set of null flavours, although
expressing the 'reason for null' from a technical perspective 'not
appropriate', 'unavailable' etc is not clinician/context friendly enough
for actual use-cases.

I think there is strong parallel here with the need to overlay the
technical state machine current_state attribute with archetype_specific
careflow_steps as per SPECPR-41
<https://openehr.atlassian.net/browse/SPECPR-41> .

Now we will probably always need extra free text as per SPECPR-62/151 but
if we are thinking about this, I suggest putting a little effort into
progressing ( or ditching) those other PRs.

Ian

Dr Ian McNicoll
mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
office +44 (0)1536 414994