On 27-01-18 11:16, Thomas Beale wrote:

Bert,

I don't disagree philosophically, but practically speaking, no SNOMED service is going to be able to answer requests to do with unit properties, unit conversions, or different forms of rendering, which are all things we need to take care of properly.

I actually think units is one of the things we should just do properly, and in only one way for openEHR. I can't imagine why anyone would use SNOMED for units instead of a proper units service that supported the above, even if they use SNOMED for everything else. There is of course nothing preventing anyone adding bindings from SNOMED to the units paths in archetypes.

I personally think that UCUM does a outstanding good job. One thing that is missing is translations, this is important in countries which have another script, like Arabs or Chinese or many many other. The majority of the world population does not use the Latin alphabet.

And this is where SNOMED comes in, it is getting translated by the people who use it. And I found somewhere on the internet a mapping from UCUM to SNOMED, and when I looked again, I coudn't find it anymore. SNOMED has infrastructure to take care of translations (done by the national standard bodies). That is one of its important strengths. HL7 is quite America bounded, and UCUM is (as far as I know) a typical HL7 product, from this point of view.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Most people of the world cannot read/write English and they also need to use medical software/devices, and it is a good thing that translations are delivered by an authority like a national standard body, instead of vendors more or less educated

I think that is obvious that the mapping between SNOMED and UCUM will come if it isn't there yet. So restricting the termbindings regarding DvQuantity-property to UCUM may become a problem, although, promoting the use is not wrong, like tooling promoted also the use of the OpenEhr units-terminology

But it may be alright to define in the RM that the DvQuantity-property is like the UCUM-property, but then without mentioning the word UCUM ;-) And of course, that the unit-string must be restricted by the general higher hierarchy of the property domain (like Mass, energy, etc)

Bert