Hi Mikael,

On 23/03/2018 09:05, Mikael Nyström wrote:

Hi tom,

I can agree with you that if SNOMED CT was created when all patients in the world already had all information in their health record recorded using cleverly built and structured information models (like archetypes, templates and similar), but that is not the case. Instead SNOMED CT also tries to help healthcare organizations to do something better also with their already recorded health record information, because that information to a large extent still belongs to living patients.

but that would appear to be an argument that since data in systems is dirty, badly designed, so SNOMED will reflect this by being badly designed! I don't agree with this at all. I think that the majority of SCT concepts which are arbitrary pre-coordinations (presumably due to the fact that someone saw them in real data, or knows they are in use in their hospital) constitute part of a (pretty messy, but practically useful) interface terminology. I remember myself and others arguing for this in the I&I standing committee in about 2011.

That should be moved to a whole separate 'piece' of SNOMED - leaving a clean core that follows proper rules like mutual exclusion, collective exhaustiveness, coherence in distinction criteria down the IS-A tree and so on. That core would be small, manageable, and the concept model could then be worked on properly to build it out, providing a far richer basis for pre-coordination. This model would be something that certain archetype structures could be harmonised with. (Note though that many archetype structures don't have a biochemical or biophysical basis, but something like 'cultural models of recording').

The interface part could then start to be cleaned up and have some discipline of its own; it could be more effectively connected to tools that are actually used in real interfaces, like choosing widgets, or underlying logic for searching. These terms would all be mapped back to the core via post-coordinated expressions - the ultimate test of the approach.

The main problem with the current state of affairs is simply that the vast majority of concepts creates incoherent cognitive noise when people are trying to:

 * bind archetype elements to terminology
 * create terminology subsets for particular uses - form fields and so on
 * curate SNOMED itself

In these situations, anytime anyone looks up a concept lexically, they get what I showed in the previous post (the actual list for BP is 3 times that) - a huge list that they try to mentally process - unnecessarily. Errors will of course come with this.

- thomas

It would be interesting to have your opinion about why it is a real problem with the “extra” pre-coordinated concepts in SNOMED CT in general and not only for the use case of creating archetypes or what would be nicest in theory.

                             Regards

                             Mikael

--
Thomas Beale