On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 10:10 PM Adrian Bunk <b...@stusta.de> wrote:

> On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 07:54:32PM +0000, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:
> > >
> > > meta-openembedded/meta-python has a higher layer priority than OE-core.
> > >
> > > Adding higher upstream versions of these recipes to a lower-priority
> > > layer in a stable series is a potential source for weird problems.
> >
> > I would assume they'd be removed from meta-python at the same time
> > they are added to meta.
>
> "at the same time" is complicated since OE-core has releases,
> but meta-openembedded is just a branch.
>
> I would also assume that not all users of stable series are updating
> meta-openembedded to the latest on the dunfell branch at the same
> time as OE-core, some users might end up updating one but never
> updating the other one.

That I believe would be a terrible mistake when people opt-in to take
a layer, but never care about updating it... :(

On the contrary, a quick run of "bitbake-layers show-overlayed"
exhibits the following on the [master] of both OE-Core and
meta-openembedded:
=================
python3-cython:
  meta-python          0.29.14
  meta                 0.29.16
python3-dbusmock:
  meta-python          0.16.7
  meta                 0.19
python3-docutils:
  meta-python          0.15.2
  meta                 0.16
python3-pyparsing:
  meta-python          2.4.6
  meta                 2.4.7

Judging be versions, it looks like OE-Core recipes are maintained, but
in meta-openembedded they are left on the side...

--
Regards,
Andrey.