On Sun, May 17, 2020, 5:41 PM Khem Raj <raj.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/17/20 6:22 AM, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> OE-core.

> >> That I believe would be a terrible mistake when people opt-in to take
> >> a layer, but never care about updating it... :(
> >
> > The typical Yocto user starts with whatever prehistoric Yocto release
> > came with the BSP distribution for the reference hardware, and then
> > develops a new product on top of that.
> >
> > I would not be surprised if someone will have the initial Yocto 2.7
> > release, but uses the latest from the corresponding  meta-openembedded
> > branch on top
>
> To be honest, we should not consider supporting such usecases IMO,
> somewhere we have to draw a line, mixing layer releases is not something
> upstream can even test those combos.

I think it should be pretty clear that the product owner has the
responsibility
to update whatever BSP distribution they're using, and make that available
their users.

At least IMO it was clear that users should maintain their distribution to
the
latest update of their stable branch, we can certainly put that on the docs
or
a wiki but I thought it was sort of given, since it simply makes sense, but
perhaps making that assumption was a mistake.

We can only do as much as bring updates after a certain release, wether its
a case like this or its a CVE. We cannot control what some products do, yet
we shouldn't let it stop us from doing changes that require updates in
multiple
layers if its a change that makes sense and most users will benefit from.

Alejandro