On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 01:20 +0000, Zheng, Ruoqin wrote:
> Hi Richard
>
> > No, you simply cannot just do that.
> >
> > If upstream takes the patch we can apply as a backport but until
> > they accept a
> > license change we can and will not.
> >
> > Just because the license file says something doesn't mean every
> > file is under
> > that license if that file's header says differently.
> >
> OK, I got it.
>
> > I suspect upstream won't accept this patch either.
> I'm sorry, but I don't know if you noticed
> https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/1018 .
> Our team have dicussed this issue in gnutls's gitlab, and the
> community has recognized this modify.

Having the upstream author recognise this means we can make the change
but we need to quote that in the patch with a reference, specifically
the comment:

"I see from the log that I'm the only one who touched this file, so as
far as I'm concerned this is the same license as the rest of gnutls.
Feel free to update the license to right one." and a reference that if
came from https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/issues/1018

We have to be extremely careful about licence changes like this.

If we can backport an upstream patch that would be even better.