Part of the WORKDIR component is the target (package) architecture.  If the
recipe or one of it's inherits sets PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE_ARCH}" it will
move the component.

Where I've seen both directories used is when someone is building for multiple
target boards.. and some of the targets use the default PACKAGE_ARCH, and some
use MACHINE_ARCH.  This is very common with OpenGL and hardware acceleration.
Mesa for instance becomes machine dependent on some systems, but generic for
others.

--Mark