On 2/2/22 07:51, Valek, Andrej wrote:
Marek,

Hello Andrej,

Sorry, but these are still not an arguments, why to do that.

I'm sorry, I am lost and confused ... what part of the email are you referring to ?

On Mon, 2022-01-31 at 10:39 +0100, Marek Vasut wrote:
On 1/31/22 08:01, Valek, Andrej wrote:
Hi,

Hello Andrej,

(please avoid top-posting)

Sorry, but personally I don't like your idea. What's the benefit of
reverting this? I would keep the ${} for bitbake and $ for shell. The
{} has to be placed only for variables like $a${b}c.

That's exactly the benefit of using ${} in shell scripts consistently -
-
you don't have to worry about variable names being accidentally
conflated with surrounding strings, either due to your own mistake, or
some automated transformation that was applied incorrectly .

We should respect the workflow on all recipes otherwise we're braking
the "unwritten" rules.

The workflow on all recipes ? What does this mean ?

broken by people. Better update the documentation.

There is one technical counter-argument to this revert from Peter,
quote:
"
There is actually a technical reason to not use ${foo} for shell
variables unless necessary in bitbake files and it is because
bitbake will treat them all as potential bitbake variables. This
means they are unnecessarily included in the taskhashes that
bitbake calculates.
"

But the patch being reverted here addresses the problem only partly,
because it still contains remnants like this:
"
conf_desc="$conf_desc${sep}setup"
"
Just for your information, this is not remnants, this is exactly the
right {} usage. If you didn't place the {}, it will be
conf_desc="$conf_desc$sepsetup", which doesn't  make any sense.

OK, one more time then.

Either your patch attempted to change the coding style of this script to match your personal preference, and did it only partly, so the result is inconsistent.

Or

You were fixing the aforementioned taskhash issue, in which case the taskhash issue is also fixed only partly.

The commit message is not clear on what the intention was.

[...]