On 6/8/22 14:13, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:

On 08/06/2022 13.58, Paulo Neves via lists.openembedded.org wrote:
Forgive me if it is a stupid question, but does xxd not rdepend on
ncurses-terminfo-base as well?
No, it does not, it's a trivial standalone utility whose only dynamic
dependency is libc.

The original RDEPENDS on ncurses-terminfo-base is not about dynamic
libraries but about terminfo files that are used for describing capabilities
of terminals. They are usually in /etc/terminfo directory.
There are programs that load these files and without them will
display broken output our refuse to run. vim seemed to be one of those programs.
Have you tested that xxd works without these files?

I ask because before your patch it could
was implied it that it did, s part of PN.
I don't understand what you're trying to say. I just put the extra
RDEPENDS from vim to vim-xxd into the existing RDEPENDS:vim line. That
doesn't imply any dependency either way between the two items listed on
the RHS.

I mean that your patch allows for a new standalone package ${PN}-xxd.
Were somebody to use this package standalone, meaning without installing vim,
the ncurses-terminfo-base would not be installed, possibly breaking xxd.

Before your patch this risk did not occur due to xxd being include in the ${PN}
which had an RDEPENDS to ncurses-terminfo-base.

Rasmus

Paulo Neves