On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 6:10 AM Alexander Kanavin <alex.kana...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This script can be used directly from poky, or can be copied directly into
> layer or any other repository - it is self-suffucient and requires only
> python3
> and git on the host where it will run. It is also copied by the
> bitbake-layers
> layers-setup plugin together with the json, unless requested otherwise.

I need to review the code a bit closer, but on the face of it, this appears
to solve the repository
pinning problem quite elegantly. This matters a great deal in tightly
configuration controlled
environments, such as where regulatory oversight is involved.

One feedback item I might suggest is to check if the layer is already
pulled and to avoid pulling
again. Same goes for the commit hash - no reason to checkout the hash if
HEAD is already pointing
at it.

Adding those checks would enable your script to be added as a pre-build
step in a developer
workflow wrapper script. Our environment takes a different approach to
repository pinning, but if
setup-layers had those checks, we could probably switch to this approach.

..Ch:W..

--
*"Perfection must be reached by degrees; she requires the slow hand of
time." - Voltaire*