On Fri, 2023-02-03 at 12:26 -0600, Alex Stewart wrote:
> Hey Josh,
>
> I have been roadmapping SBOM generation for NI's yocto distro and have a
> few open questions about the future of SPDX and the create-spdx bbclass.
> Since your name seems to be attached to both of those, I figure you
> might have the best insight here.
>
> Also posting to the OE-core ML so that this discussion can help other
> members.
>

> 1. SPDX 3 timeline. I hear that SPDX 3 is going to be a complete rewrite
> of the spec, with more support for modern SBOM discussion topics like
> VEX and more comprehensive vulnerability tracking. And it also seems to
> me that the timeline for its release is very behind schedule [1], but
> still in active development. Can you give a SWAG for how close that new
> spec is to completion? Are we months away or years?
>
> 2. If/when SPDX 3 support is released, is it to be assumed that the SPDX
> facilities in OE core are going to be upgraded to handle it?

Assuming someone does the work, which is likely, yes. We did namespace
the class in master to prepare for that.

> 3. The rest of my org is interested in CycloneDX as our common SBOM
> format. Have there been any discussions about supporting CDX SBOMs in
> OE-core? Any blockers there; or is it something that my org could author
> and upstream if we decide to go that route?

At this point OpenEmbedded/Yocto Project has decided to go the SPDX
route for various reasons. I'm not sure I want to see two formats being
added directly to the core, the better solution would likely be to
translate the SPDX output into CycloneDX if/as needed.