On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 2:33 PM Richard Purdie
<richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I did look at the bug and it sounds like if you clean a recipe, builds
> of other recipes which depend upon it then fail?

Well not just in this case specifically, it is reproducible when doing
a clean build.
But this is the easiest most convenient way to reproduce because most
of the sstate can be reused.

> We need to understand what is happening with both the sstate manifests
> and the stamp files to fully understand this bug.
>
> do_prepare_recipe_sysroot of this recipe that depends on the
> externalsrc one should trigger it's do_populate_sysroot. The question
> is whether the do_clean removed the do_populate_sysroot stamp file for
> that recipe or not? It sounds like it did remove the sstate manifest.

I have checked the manifest and stamp creation and as far as I can
tell that part is correct.

> The more I look at this, the more I think changing the deltask is just
> masking the issue and there is some other problem at play here which we
> need to address directly.

I agree, I have dug a bit further and the issue seems to come from runqueue.py.
It seems that the current implementation depends heavily on the
presence of _setscene tasks to build the dependency graph. Altering
this behavior would indeed require significant effort and potentially
lead to unforeseen consequences.

> Unfortunately it took me half an hour just to be able to read through
> the pieces of this and get far enough I could write a coherent answer
> to your question. It is a struggle to reply to everything in this level
> of detail, much as I'd like to :/.

I'd like to thank you for the time you have invested in this issue! I
appreciate the help.
I understand that my proposed solution might not be ideal, but fixing
the underlying issue in runqueue would be a real challenge.
If upstream is not interested in this patch, I can also understand that.