On Wed, 2023-08-02 at 11:26 +0200, Peter Suti wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 2:33 PM Richard Purdie
> <richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > I did look at the bug and it sounds like if you clean a recipe, builds
> > of other recipes which depend upon it then fail?
>
> Well not just in this case specifically, it is reproducible when doing
> a clean build.
> But this is the easiest most convenient way to reproduce because most
> of the sstate can be reused.

Do you have a way to reproduce this using recipes in OE-Core?

For example, I tried adding this to the cairo recipe:

EXTERNALSRC = "/xxx/cairo-1.16.0"
inherit externalsrc

and then building cairo, cleaning cairo, building pango (which depends
on cairo). I couldn't see any failure.

> > We need to understand what is happening with both the sstate manifests
> > and the stamp files to fully understand this bug.
> >
> > do_prepare_recipe_sysroot of this recipe that depends on the
> > externalsrc one should trigger it's do_populate_sysroot. The question
> > is whether the do_clean removed the do_populate_sysroot stamp file for
> > that recipe or not? It sounds like it did remove the sstate manifest.
>
> I have checked the manifest and stamp creation and as far as I can
> tell that part is correct.
>
> > The more I look at this, the more I think changing the deltask is just
> > masking the issue and there is some other problem at play here which we
> > need to address directly.
>
> I agree, I have dug a bit further and the issue seems to come from
> runqueue.py.
> It seems that the current implementation depends heavily on the
> presence of _setscene tasks to build the dependency graph. Altering
> this behavior would indeed require significant effort and potentially
> lead to unforeseen consequences.
>
> > Unfortunately it took me half an hour just to be able to read through
> > the pieces of this and get far enough I could write a coherent answer
> > to your question. It is a struggle to reply to everything in this level
> > of detail, much as I'd like to :/.
>
> I'd like to thank you for the time you have invested in this issue! I
> appreciate the help.
> I understand that my proposed solution might not be ideal, but fixing
> the underlying issue in runqueue would be a real challenge.
> If upstream is not interested in this patch, I can also understand that.

It isn't that we're not interested, we just need to make sure something
else doesn't break. A test case to reproduce the issue you're seeing
would help a lot. Ultimately we should perhaps add something to the
tests in meta/lib/oeqa/ to cover the issue.