On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 12:58 PM Richard Purdie <
richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2023-09-30 at 12:33 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 7:07 AM Richard Purdie
> > <richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >

> > > I had some difficulties with this series since it doesn't apply
> > > against
> > > master. The issue was that someone else had updated the kernel CVEs
> > > and
> > > those changes weren't in your tree (nor was the btrfs upgrade).
> > > This
> > > meant all the cve inc changes threw errors. We will likely need to
> > > assume someone will update the CVE includes semi regularly just so
> > > we
> > > can keep the noise on the CVE reports down.
> > >

> > That's odd. I always do a pull --rebase before sending my changes,
> > but yet none of them showed up  (on any of my builders, so I had 3x
> > machines running that queue of patches and none of them had the
> > changes from master).
>
> I don't know what happened but you were definitely not on a recent
> master branch as the changes did not apply.
>
> > For the kernel CVEs. They either need to be part of my kernel
> > releases or not. I've updated my scripts, and they'll always be
> > updated as part of the process. Having something / someone else
> > update that file is just a huge pain, and we shouldn't do that.
>
> The question is whether you're able to just update the CVE revisions
> out of cycle with the kernel point release bumps?

I mean I could, but that's not something I want to take on. I'm not actively
monitoring the kernel CVEs, and take the fixes as they flow through
-stable and are tested in my sanity. So the only point they matter (to me)
is when a -stable bump proves to be sane enough to send to the list
with bumped SRCREVs.

I'm going to drop the part of my script that updates the CVE file when
I do a release, since the conflicts are such a hassle when I'm working
through my -stable queue. I sometimes need to hold it for a week
(or more) depending on what is broken or what part of the cycle
we are in.

It sounds like there's a better solution down the road, so me dropping
the update of the .inc file won't be an issue for long.

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end