media-session is not really deprecated. It's still under some maintanance:
<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/media-session/-/commits/master>

I myself also use wireplumber, but i experimented with media-session and it turned out to work fine for my use case.

Readme says:
"PipeWire Media Session is an example session manager for Pipewire.

Note that we recommend the use of Wireplumber instead."

And just for the sake of completeness and to have this example present, I also included the media session.In other words, is there any reason why media-session should not be selectable?

As to why wireplumber is not the default, I don't really have an opinion on that. I just had media-session preset because it has less dependencies and was working quite well.