Given Eric's compilation below my proposal (stated initially as 2.5) almost
becomes Option 5, with parts A and B. It is probably much too much work to
implement but it would allow flexible control from OpenERP or Magento IMHO. I
apologize for the length of the comment below.

5a: Link products from OpenERP to Magento that are here-to-for unmapped while
having the same REFERENCE CODE and SKU. When an OpenERP Reference has several
Magento items in different websites or servers are found, give the option to
link to one or many of those items. A marker should be set for "mapped" so that
ongoing questions are not asked (unless new matched items appear in Magento
universe).
5b: Link products from Magento to OpenERP that are here to for unmapped having
the same SKU and REFERENCE CODE. If not found (as now) create a New Product in
OpenERP. If multiples are found (I don't understand why there would be
multiples in OpenERP, but it seems multiple Magento Websites would create this)
give the choice to map to the multiple items or to consolidate mapping to one
(or at least fewer) items.

Comment on above: In general I prefer the idea that OpenERP has Master Records
that then have physical locations that are linked to web locations. One
Physical location could link to one web locations, or to multiple web location
based on preferences. Still there should generally be only ONE OpenERP Master
Product per Company, and therefore only one SKU (REFERENCE CODE) - one Item
(not multiple items with the same SKU). Multiple company setups MAY break that
but better would be that they actually "share" the foundation definition rather
than creating new duplicate REFERENCE CODE - SKUS also.

This "exclusivity" of Reference Code could potentially be broken w/ separate
companies with a "check box" allowance in setup.

ASIDE Now: I feel that each PARTNER should have a CUSTNO that is exclusive to
it and still controllable at setup time and in KEY CHANGE mode only. I feel the
SAME should be for an ItemCode(REFERENCE CODE/SKU). Generally then Custno and
ItemCode would be default linking objects between systems. I see the logic of
linking to serialized numbers by default as is now, but the ability to
Definitevely link to Customer Numbers and Item Codes aids in all sorts of
linking objectives between systems so long as said Codes can be created in
various systems. REFERENCE CODE gives this ability now in OPENERP. I have not
found the field to control in PARTNERS however in OPENERP. I believe OpenERP
took away the "Partner Code" in version 7 for some reason. Perhaps there is an
extension to bring it back. I would find it helpful.

Which ever way this goes it will work and it is generally working now. I am
simply envisioning a Kettle type situation where various databases can find
their perch and relationships in the Stew.

Thanks for all your hard work Coding.
I see great value in relating databases to each other and look for simple
controls is all.

best to all,

Landis Arnold
Boulder, CO