Hi Daniel,

> > > Use dlci lines as device numbers. No mapping, use a standard from
> > the
> > > kernel so userspace doesnt need to be different between the phones.
> >
> > sounds like a bad idea since you will limit yourself to one MUX
> > instance
> > on the system. In theory you can have multiple MUX. It could be a
> > second
> > data card on your laptop or just simply a dual radio phone etc.
>
> Hum.. And what do you suggest?
>
> Maybe using another instance on (instance * K) device minor?

the TTY subsystem is still kinda problematic when it comes to free-form
device node names. That might can be changed. However at least you get
256 of them and then you can pick a specific or next free one every time
you create a new DLCI. The Bluetooth RFCOMM stuff something like this
already. However that code was written when we still had static major
numbers. Maybe nowadays, you can just use dynamic major numbers and for
every MUX instance just let the kernel pick a major number. Then udev
will handle the rest.

Regards

Marcel