Hi,

The choice is yours.

To do a synchronous call, send the flow_mod followed up a
barrier_request.  You will get the barrier_reply back.

To do asynchronous calls, just send the flow_mod and wait for error
messages.  The error messages should carry the same xid (transaction
id) as the flow_mod and the flow_mod generated the error.

You do not need to tweak TCP options for this.  It is usu. done in an
async manner.  If you are using a controller like NOX, then this
should not really be of much concern.  Are you whipping up a new
controller?

Regards
KK