Just as a data point:  we are using POX (the latest from GitHub) and Pantou
on the TP-Link (v1.8) and the Mikrotik Routerboard 450g with no problems.
 Maximum throughput on the RB450g is about 50Mbps, on the TP-Link it's
about 6Mbps.

I noticed similar problems when using the version of POX that came bundled
with the Mininet VM image, but the current git HEAD works fine.

-Russ