hi Peter,

from later emails, it sounds like you have everything working. however, I do
want to mention one alternative that does not require changing the controller.

if you add:

--verbose=vconn:file:dbg --log-file="/dev/null"

to the command to start ofprotocol in /lib/openflow/ofprotocol.sh, then the
problem of the temporary disconnects also goes away. this logging overhead
seems to be enough to re-jigger ofprotocol into correctly processing the
ECHO_REPLY's coming from the controller in response to the ECHO_REQUEST's sent
by the switch.

as this is a band-aid, and not a solution, I once explored changing the
frequency of the kernel timer, but this bricked my TPLINK as it prevented the
ethernet device driver from loading. after re-flashing via a serial header, I
didn't continue debugging, so that's all I know for certain. perhaps the
logging is causing additional interrupts or time in the kernel?

cheers,
Andrew