Hi folks,

We have been discussing this issue regarding the migration of the inventory
to the topology model a lot recently - and we just concluded a TWS meeting
today regarding this. One question that some of us are asking - is there a
critical need to do the migration from the inventory model to the topology
model at all? Especially given that such a migration would have a
significant impact on the downstream projects ​ and external consumers​ as
well as user experience given that folks are using these models for a while
now. The question is are there any significant benefits to doing such a
migration for the end user or the consuming projects. One of the original
reasons for doing this migration was to avoid the confusion from the users
about having the two models. But lately there seems to be no such confusion
and people are more familiar with the inventory model being used by
OpenFlow Plugin.

Hence Anil Vishnoi has come up with an *alternate proposal*:

Inventory-model is only used by openflowplugin project only. So as an
alternative we should move the inventory yang model from controller project
to the openflowplugin project and contain it as an internal project model
and not general inventory model for the other projects. This way it becomes
an OpenFlow plugin model alone - and not an overall OpenDaylight model.

This will require some change by the dependent projects (some modifications
in the dependency declaration in the pom files) - however it will be less
change than a complete migration to the topology model. *If you have any
thoughts about the change - please provide your thoughts*.

We inside of OpenFlow Plugin project like this change (as opposed to the
inventory to topology model migration change for which there were no
volunteers due to the effort and lack of obvious benefits).

We (OpenFlow Plugin) need to develop the timeline for the change - but Anil
thinks that the change itself will not take more than 2-3 weeks to be
completed including the dependency change required by the dependent
projects. BTW this would not be an API change - just a dependency path
change. Once the timeline is finalized - OpenFlow Plugin will send a
weather report and instructions for the change.

Thanks,

Abhijit