On 05/02/2016 11:52 PM, Abhijit Kumbhare wrote:
> Hi folks,

[snip]

> This will require some change by the dependent projects (some
> modifications in the dependency declaration in the pom files) - however
> it will be less change than a complete migration to the topology model.
> *If you have any thoughts about the change - please provide your thoughts*.
>
> We inside of OpenFlow Plugin project like this change (as opposed to the
> inventory to topology model migration change for which there were no
> volunteers due to the effort and lack of obvious benefits).

I have to disagree on the 'lack of benefits' part. Having aligned base
models is critical for end user experience. The topology model is
implemented by multiple SB plugins to expose exactly the same semantics
as the inventory model.

From modeling perspective, the inventory model is a strict subset of
concepts expressed in the topology model.

Keeping two models for the same thing is pure overhead from maintenance
and interoperability point of view.

The inventory model must be eliminated if we ever hope to have any sort
of consistence across SB plugins. This has been discussed and agreed
multiple times, can we please stick to the plan?

Since there is a proposal to eliminate the OFP version-agnostic model
(which is tied to topology via the new plugin), I think it would be very
logical to attach the OFJ models to topology as a replacement and simple
gradually desupport the inventory model -- old stuff works as long as
old models do.

Thanks,
Robert