Hi Molly,,
by and large I agree with the tenor of the statements below, but believe
they need some refinement...see below...

Dr Molly Cheah wrote:

> I'm making this change on the Vision Statement:
>
> Vision:
> Free and Open Source Health Care Software will provide a viable and
> sustainable alternative in mainstream ICT for positive impact in health
> outcomes as adjunct to building a global information (knowledge?) society.
>

> I would like to add the word "solidarity" in the vision statement above,
> but don't know how.

personally, I wouldn't try to add such a political word. I think
"sustainable" is an important word as it is...

> I've also found these 3 interesting points in the oshca.org web-site
> under Charter:
>
>     *
>
>       Promotes and helps the formation of development consortia for
>       health care related projects
>
>     *
>
>       Solicits membership from strategic organizations
>
>     *
>
>       Helps projects find funding and reach critical mass
>
> The principles outlined at the old web-site may be worth keeping:
>
> *Principles*
>
> /Promote a globally sustainable approach/
>
> Open source software has global application. OSHCA will encourage
> approaches that seek active participation by users, developers, and
> policy makers from all parts of the world.

I think we need to be careful with statements like these - open source
doesn't have any more global application than closed source other than
by the mundane fact of being free or more easily available (but some
closed source things are cheap and very easily available as well...)

It would be better in my view to say something like "open source
software developmemnt encourages global collaboration".

> /Stay lightweight and flexible/
>
> In the spirit of open source where development is user and needs driven,
> facilitation needs to support highly desirable dynamism, adaptability,
> and flexibility. This approach seeks to facilitate natural processes
> that produce unprecedented quality, usability, and cost effectiveness.

hmmm...this sounds nice, but I would prefer more concrete statements -
what is this bit really trying to say? Something about adaptability,
flexibility - these are qualities of the deployed software; natural
processes - not sure what that really means; quality - too general a
word; usability....does open source create greater usability? In
general, we need to be precise and concise!

> /Be open to diverse opinions and technologies/
>
> OSHCA is inclusive of all health care-related open source activities. In
> an open source world, the success of an idea, standard, or product is
> measured by its practical use.

I absolutely agree with the second statement, but this is unrelated to
the first, which is about OSHCA being "open" etc...

> /Ethical Deployment/
>
> OSHCA's focus is the legal and ethical deployment of reliable and robust
> open source systems in all areas of health care. This means meeting or
> exceeding current standards and working with legislative bodies to
> encourage the inclusion of open source principals in their policies.

"meeting or exceeding current standards" - this is tricky one...and I
don't know that it is connected with ethics....