David Forslund wrote:
> http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5624944
>
> is the link to the article I intended to post.
> David Forslund wrote:
> > I thought folks might like to see this article.   Any comments?
> >
> > -Dave

this brings back a big debate about among this group where I was
lambasted by some for suggesting that you still had to do engineering
and have some control to make open source software work. In the words of
the article, what you always need is a focussed editorial group and
change management policy to make sure the thing being built isn't just a
wall covered in grafitti - there has to be a gatekeeper.  The reason why
Linux works so well is that Torvalds is himself the iron fist of control
over the whole thing - he is the gateway, the editorial board and the
change manager (I think he has a couple of workers above the
lieutenant's level).

Why Wikipedia doesn't have one is a mystery to me. Why it is as good as
it is (however good you think it is) is also a mystery.

- thomas