Molly Cheah wrote:
> David,
> There "is" and not "may be" because there are legal frameworks (acts of
> parliament) that governs corporations, civil societies, unions etc. If
> OSHCA is to be my organisation, I would have it up in 3 days (not one as
> suggested by Richard). My timeline of 3 months is not due to "technical
> grounds" for setting it up but rather to allow members and the protem
> committee to discuss and accept what should go into the incorporation
> papers. The procedures are laid out and transparent.
> Even the choice of incorporation in a developing country went through
> discussions on this list and there were no objections. I picked Malaysia
> because I'm from here and I had undertaken to do the job. If anyone else
> would like to volunteer to do the job please by all means.

I don't think the country of incorporation matters that much to the
outcomes of OSHCA's operations; for the reasons Molly states, Malaysia
is as good as any. I really doubt whether any of the legal differences
between corporate entities in various countries will ever come into play
in reality; the only one I can think of that might be interesting is its
tax status as a non-profit.

What might matter one day is trademarking. If there is a brand name that
has to be protected around the world, or in some parts of it, then that
name(s) has to be trademarked in various countries. I don't know that
OSHCA has (or is) a brandname that needs to be trademarked at this stage.

- thomas beale