On May 19, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Greg Woodhouse wrote:

> I'm less than enthusiastic about the idea that interoperability should
> be achieved by having everyone run the same (open source) applications
> beccause it just dodges the issue: If everyone is running the same
> code, well then yes, of cours, they'll be interoperable. But that
> is an
> empty sort of success. Similarly, it is fine to say that I am free to
> peruse the source code of an application and thus learn how it works
> and what I need to do to integrate with it, but why should it be
> necessary? Again the suggestion that I need to "use the source" (to
> borrow a chapter title from a book I read years ago, and one that
> still
> bothers me) is preposterous.......
>
> ===
> Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Metaphors be with you.

gregory,

your outstanding comments boil down to:  interoperability is
orthogonal to the software license.

[wr]

- - - - - - - -

will ross
project manager
mendocino informatics
216 west perkins street, suite 206
ukiah, california  95482  usa
707.462.6369 [office]
707.462.5015 [fax]
www.minformatics.com

"Getting people to adopt common standards is impeded by patents."
         Sir Tim Berners-Lee,  BCS, 2006

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS