These should go up on our web site on "How to win clients and influence the corporate customer on FOSS".

nandalal

Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: On Friday 19 May 2006 09:03 pm, Thomas Beale wrote:
> - so you (the customer) are paying for 30% of the total cost, upfront
> for a generic component.
> - we (the builder) pick up 70% of the cost, in an incremental ongoing
> fashion.
> - You get free access for the life of the product.

The way I generally put it is: "if you contribute your improvements
back to the project then they will be maintained as a matter of course.
If not, then you'll have to re-adapt them to each new release that you
wish to advantage of.  Which do you prefer?".

I have yet to see a client prefer the latter.

-- Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com