Thanks Joseph, for the clarification. It is good to know that the value of the
open source model is becoming more accepted and that in the future, GUI based
versions of VistA too, will be open source.

 What type of open source licence is likely to be used for these
implementations? "Public Domain" is a bit tricky on the legal front, as legally
it is owned by the US Public, and therefore, the US government. They could
refuse certain countries the free use of VistA for political reasons for
example?

 Please clarify.

 Nandalal

Joseph Dal Molin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hopefully the following facts about VistA and VistA-Office (VOE) will
 set the record straight about their claim to "openness":

 First a couple of points of clarification: WorldVistA, not I, was
 awarded the tender by the Iowa Foundation for Medical Care in May of
 last year to establish the VistA-Office Vendor Support Organization
 (VVSO). IFMC is the prime contractor to CMS for VistA-Office. My role
 was writing the RFP response for WorldVistA and I am WorldVistA's
 program manager for the VVSO.

 Regarding the Wisconsin QIO initiative that Dan mentioned: one of the
 QIO's roles is to provide impartial advice to physicians to help them
 select an EHR. The QIO's are funded to do this work by CMS.
 Unfortunately the QIO's direct funding of a VOE port to Linux fell into
 a gray area which would have created a potential for conflict of
 interest. It was for this reason the parties involved decided it was
 best not to proceed. Ironically, this disappointment was a blessing in
 disguise as we have applied a large number of enhancements to VOE since
 last summer, bringing it up to date with FOIA VistA. Our plans are to
 port VOE to a full open source stack in the next couple of weeks.

 ...now to the discussion at hand

 ~ FOIA VistA (the version released under the Freedom of Information Act
 by the VA) is public domain software and as such the source code is free
 to be downloaded and used in any way you want. It can be downloaded from
 the VA's FTP site....this version requires a proprietary database to
 run. Alternatively you can download a full open source stack of VistA
 based on GT.M and Linux from the WorldVistA Sourceforge site
 (www.worldvista.org). FOIA VistA has been available as public domain for
 over 15 years through the VA. The open source stack has been available
 from WorldVistA for about 3 years. It is an open source stack which is
 currently being implemented by the Mexican government's IMSS healthcare
 agency, which is implementing VistA in 200 public hospitals.

 ~ VistA Office EHR, whose development is funded by CMS (Centers for
 Medicaid and Medicare) is currently in beta testing and will also be
 made available primarily as public domain software when this process is
 complete late this year. Although as I will explain shortly, some parts
 of it will have an open source license. An evaluation version has been
 available for download since last August by registering at the
 WorldVistA VVSO web page (http://www.worldvista.org/vvso/add). The
 software comes bundled with a vendor qualification test which we are
 using to determine whether vendors are qualified to support VOE. So far
 6 vendors have passed the test.

 Initial VOE development was indeed a closed process....it was the
 "traditional" contracting and development model you find in gov't and
 private industry. This is not surprising given that the open source
 model was very unfamiliar territory to CMS nearly 3 years ago when the
 project was conceived. Over the past year the development process has
 been gradually, all be it quietly, opening up. This in part was a result
 of WorldVistA's role in the project expanding and because IFMC and CMS
 became more familiar with the strategic value of the open source model
 and how open, collaborative development can be managed. We have in the
 past few months begun accepting external contributions to VOE and are
 currently in the process of integrating code developed by VOE Solutions
 (which is LGPL) and the Pacific Telehealth Hui. Suffice it to say that
 the open source approach has become a key strategic building block for
 VOE's future.

 The bottom line is that VistA, while public domain, is definitely open
 source and has a large, growing and very active community of users and
 developers....just visit the Hardhats mailing list archive on
 Sourceforge. As for VOE, while its development was initially closed, the
 plan has always been to make it available as public domain. The
 development process for VOE is now open and as the full infrastructure
 needed to support collaborative development is better established
 community participation will be more proactively encouraged.

 Regards,

 Joseph
 VP Business Development, WorldVistA

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM