Paul,

See below.

- - - - - - - -

On Feb 20, 2007, at 5:32 AM, Paul wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> --- In openhealth@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Beale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Nandalal Gunaratne wrote:
>>>  The power of this approach is hard to appreciate

>>> This is important for clinicians in different
>>> specialities with various interests in the specifics.
>>> No FOSS EMR I tried/used, except OIO, allow this to be
>>> done easily by users.
>>>
>>> The Concept Dictionary approach seems to be similar to
>>> the Archetypes approach of OpenEHR, which goes a
>>> further step.
>>>

>> you can see a urinalysis archetype here:
>>
> http://svn.openehr.org/knowledge/archetypes/dev/html/en/openEHR-EHR-
> OBSERVATION.laboratory-urea_and_electrolytes.v1.html
>> (main page: http://svn.openehr.org/knowledge/archetypes/dev/
>> index.html)
>>
>> - thomas beale
>>

> Thanks for the link.  It hasn't worked for me, but I'm familiar enough
> (I think) to have at least a cursory understanding of what archetypes
> are.  Probably enough to be dangerous. :)
>
> Defining the relative metadata around medical concepts is typically a
> good thing, and for your work on that I applaud this effort.  However,
> where I get worried with this approach is in both the vagaries of
> health care and practice patterns.
>
> A wise quote that I heard when I started medical informatics training
> was "a lot of what we practice today is wrong."  I'm a pediatrician,
> and I can attest to this... and because of the constant evolution in
> best practices, there's always a "scattergram" of practice styles vs.
> best practices.  That is, the urinalysis today, might not be the
> urinalysis of tomorrow.  Some might continue to use the old urinalysis
> for a number of various reasons, and some of those reasons might be
> correct.  Therefore, there arise various flavors and colors of a
> single
> "archetype" that I think I understand represent models of how certain
> care is delivered.  These coexisting vagaries and various evolutions
> of medical concepts unfortunately I think are a necessary reality of
> health information system design.
>
> What we've attempted to do at Regenstrief (and within OpenMRS for that
> matter) is to abstract out one level further.  That is, all medical
> concepts have descriptions, datatypes, "classes", and for a given
> combination of class, datatype some relative metadata.  For example, a
> urine pH is a numeric datatype, and a test class.  Therefore, it has
> metadata such as absolute, critical, and normal ranges, a unit
> designation, etc etc.  These concepts live in the database right
> alongside the actual repository of data to serve as a general resource
> to the entire enterprise.  Any user can populate the database with new
> concepts, and we're actively working on building a resource, the OCC
> (OpenMRS Concept Cooperative) to allow for imports/exports of these
> creations for the use of the entire community.

Can the OCC be accessed by non-OpenMRS sites?   And, as a corollary,
can non-OpenMRS sites contribute to the concept coop?

Thanks!

- - - - - - - -

> That being said, it's probably a good idea for the community to try
> something that inherently feels more tightly defined and
> interoperable.  We however, made the choice based on pragmatics.  That
> is, the approach I've described has been road tested for a very long
> time with good success.  We wanted to stack our odds for success, and
> were more reluctant to experiment.  The OpenMRS group took advantage
> of our institution's work, added some extra details (such as the
> ability to pre and post-coordinate ccmplex questions and answers,
> richer synonymies, etc.)
>
> Best,
> -Paul
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

[wr]

- - - - - - - -

will ross
project manager
mendocino health records exchange
216 west perkins street, suite 206
ukiah, california  95482  usa
707.462.6369 [office]
707.462.5015 [fax]
www.mendocinohre.org

"Getting people to adopt common standards is impeded by patents."
     Sir Tim Berners-Lee,  BCS,  2006