All,
         Thanks for your responses. As always I have more information
than I can easily digest. It looks like I have some reading to do.

          Mark suggested that I look into Mirth, and I definitely have
an eye towards integration with that project. However, I am very
concerned with human side interfaces, which I do not think Mirth does
yet. (I understand that might be changing!!)

           The other is the "email analogy". I do want people to think
of email with my system, because that is relatively easy to
understand. Heck, e-mail itself is a technology that references the
prior model (snail mail). So I am going with the KISS principle for
now.

            Does anyone know what kind of messaging is available in VistA?

-FT

--
Fred Trotter
http://www.fredtrotter.com