Dear Tim,

We are listening and I am definitely reading your comments.  You have
very good thoughts and are contributing to this discussion in a very
thoughtful manner (as is usual for you).  I apologize if my comments
here seem antagonistic.  That is not my intention.  I am not trying to
tear this idea down but rather add fuel for thought in the formative
phases.

I for one agree with you that this is a much needed project to pull
this already much divided community back together.  To have one
organizations vigorously promoting FOSS solutions will be good for all
of us.

I am not sure which acronym precipitated the ugly mail that you
received.  I will not try to not repeat it here.

The reason I have bring up these issues is because I believe
conflict-of-interest is one of the factors that has contributed to our
current state.  For this type of organization to do well all of the
projects need to respect the new organization.  The appearance of
conflict-of-interest can be just as bad as the real thing precisely
because of the way we communicate in these forums.

I agree that board members should be allowed to participate in "paid
or unpaid projects" with the caveat that conflict-of-interest and the
appearance of conflict-of-interest should be avoided.  I have emailed
the documents that I created for OSMS to Fred Trotter and these have
been forwarded to Ignacio Valdez.  These documents were created under
the Gnu Free Document License and are freely copyable to be used as
desired. If you wish, I can include them here.

I have an advantage in that I have already formed a not-for-profit
corporation and have some experience in this area.  Getting the
501(c)(3) designation is not easy and takes a long time.

The Board-of-Directors should if at all possible include a accountant
and an attorney.  There are many legal and tax issues that come up and
having these professionals on the board are invaluable.

Sincerely,

Sam Bowen, MD