Excellent high level comments. Rick calls the notion of constant change the
fluxus quo

That is definitely a good point.

Any other notions? Specific issues that require deep understandings is what
I am after.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM, David Whitten <whit...@worldvista.org>
wrote:

> One thing that I find I have to repeat is an idea that Rick Marshall
originally expressed:

> Health IT has to be constantly changing and being refined, because the
field of Medicine is constantly changing and being refined.

> It is a very enchanting thought that you can create a software system for
Health IT and stamp it "perfect" and then never have to re-visit that system
again. It is very enchanting and wrong.  Best Practices in Medicine
constantly are being re-evaluated, and any computer system that supports
medical practice and healthcare must be re-evaluated regularly as well.

> David
>
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM, fred trotter <fred.trot...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> One of the experiences that I have had, time and time again is that when
I talk to doctors about Health IT, they have some basic Information
Technology gaps in their education. They simply do not understand some of
the fundamentals of Information Technology and have trouble even
understanding what I am talking about when I talk about things like
"structured data".

>> Alternatively, "normal" IT people do not get some of the fundamental
complexities of the healthcare delivery process that prevents them from
understanding certain Health IT concepts.

>> The kind of thing I find myself repeatedly explaining to doctors include
"Why you need to include prescription data in a normalized way in the
patient chart, rather than just writing in plaintext in a note"

>> The kind of thing I find myself repeatedly explaining to IT people
include "Why billing data cannot be relied upon for clinically accurate data
mining"

>> In your experience, what other things do you as Health IT people have to
consistently explain to doctors and/or IT people about Health IT. I am
looking for the kinds of things that you have explained at least three or
four times. Perhaps you have explained them enough times that you have an
impatient lecture that you have to give on the topic?

>> Another way to ask the question is "If there were a FAQ for Health IT,
what should go on it?"

>> Thanks,
>> -FT
>>
>> --