Roland Dreier wrote:

   Michael> So, here we have a long discussion on attempting to
   Michael> perpetuate a concept that is not universal across
   Michael> transports and was deemed to have minimal value that most
   Michael> wanted to see removed from the architecture.

But this discussion is being driven by an application developer who
does see value in immediate data.

Arlin, can you quantify the benefit you see from RDMA write with
immediate vs. RDMA write followed by a send?

We need speed and simplicity.

A very latency sensitive application that requires immediate notification of RDMA write completion on the remote node without ANY latency penalties associated with combining operations, HCA priority rules across QPs, wire congestion, etc. An application that has no requirement for messaging outside of remote rdma write completion notifications. The application would not have to register and manage additional message buffers on either side, we can just size the queues accordingly and post zero byte messages. We need something that would be equivelent to setting there polling on the last byte of inbound data. But, since data ordering within an operation is not guaranteed that is not an option. So, rdma with immediate data is the most optimal and simplistic method for indication of RDMA-write completion that we have available today. In fact, I would like to see it increased in size to make it even more useful.

-arlin