Edward,
The system dies at the point you would expect Gnome to fire up - that's the effect of the kernel bug. But you can start OI if you choose the VESA option, and from there you can switch to the NV driver which comes with OI, which is what I've done. Illumos are aware of the problem and it's being reviewed by Colin Ellis for them.

Guy