On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 08:00 AM, Ken Gunderson wrote:

On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 07:51 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 04:15 AM, Gabriel de la Cruz wrote:
The Solaris OS was carefully designed as a product, Linux is a
combination of technollogies carefully developed to interact with
eachother but created in independent projects. Both of them a very
well made, but the way how all the parts within Solaris relate to
eachother is more consistent.

Solaris and linux are like 2 different languages, both ritch on their
own way, why shoulnt we write phylosopy in German?

Er...certainly the core is a carefully designed product but I would not
go so far as to claim the whole of Solaris is a carefully designed product.

Anyway, when will KDE be brought on board instead of that directionless
excuse for a desktop environment called GNOME?

Ha!  Why anyone would want, or indeed, could even use that bug ridden
pos they call kde these days is beyond me....

fyi- I was a kde1, 2, and to some extent kde3 user before I gave up and
switched to Xfce4.  Changing platform to OS made Gnome one of the pills
I had to swallow.  And a jagged little pill it was, as I formerly
detested it.  After some time using it, however, I began to appreciate
Gnome.  I test drive the latest and not so greatest KDE4 from time to
time on Linux boxes and am amazed at just how badly they missed it....

Yes, Kubuntu is a complete disaster. Not the KDE team's fault though I don't think. The Kubuntu devs botched it real bad. On another note, I have heard that users of KDE on OpenSolaris are happy with it?

I stopped using OpenSolaris as a desktop after I have had enough of GNOME...

The point being, to each their own.  Gnome works on Solaris.  And pretty
much works on OI.  Better places to invest limited developer engergies
and talent than incorporating KDE, imho.  You got a really, really bad
itch??

Yes. OI for the desktop. Not quite the focus of illumos or OI but the KDE team are doing something on this score...