On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 03:51 AM, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
Sigh...

ntpdate -u 192.168.9.1
10 Jul 09:01:15 ntpdate[29929]: step time server 192.168.9.1 offset
3317.946738 sec

IIRC ntpd won't adjust the time if the difference is too big, measured between
the system clock, inherited from the hardware clock, and the ntp servers. I've
see this on VMs a few times on Linux - if the guest OS doesn't have a time
source compatible, it'll usually drift a lot, possibly enough to make ntpd give
up. But then, since you're running on iron (or silicon or something), adjusting
the time on bootup with ntpdate should suffice :)

I have switched from broadcastclient to specifying 5 time servers. That seems to have got it to behave properly.

cheers,

Christopher