The SSDs in question worked fine throughout, but I admit to not having
fully propagated multiple backplanes with expanders full of SATA 3
SSDs.

I mentioned my experiences WRT drives that are 4k sectors with 512b
emulation behaving much better with ashift=12 prior, and I also cite
the standard [1][2] posts by gdamore regarding SAS expanders
misbehaving when drive resets are triggered.

- Rich

[1] -
http://gdamore.blogspot.com/2010/08/why-sas-sata-is-not-such-great-idea.html
[2] - http://gdamore.blogspot.com/2010/12/update-on-sata-expanders.html